Riot Video games has revealed plans for its first Legends of Runeterra World Championship, that includes a $200,000 (~£143,655) prize pool.
A complete of 192 gamers from the Americas, Europe, and Asia, in addition to a number of ranked and seasonal event contributors, will compete for 16 seats within the World Championship finals starting in September.
Riot Video games launched Legends of Runeterra (LoR) in April 2020 as a collectable card recreation (CCG) spin-off of the League of Legends universe. The primary seasonal event was held in December with a $10,000 (~£7,433) grand prize.
Jon ‘Extra Synergy’ Stebel, Riot Video games Comms Strategist, commented on the official Runeterra weblog: “We’ve been thrilled to see 1000’s of gamers battle it out to earn the title of Seasonal Event champion within the Monuments of Energy and Cosmic Creation seasons. At the moment, we’re excited to announce our best aggressive milestone but; the Legends of Runeterra World Championship — a serious world occasion that gives a brand new alternative for followers and gamers alike to have interaction like by no means earlier than, pushing aggressive LoR play to new heights.”
Opponents will be capable to qualify for the World Championship in one among 3 ways primarily based on both Seasonal Event or Ranked efficiency. Gamers may also retroactively obtain ‘ranked factors’ primarily based on their efficiency from the Monuments of Energy and Cosmic Creation seasons.
64 gamers every from the Americas, Europe, and Asia/SEA, respectively, will compete for seats within the Legends of Runeterra World Championship. They are going to be chosen as follows:
- Ranked – 22 gamers
- Factors might be awarded to Grasp rank gamers primarily based on their last rank on the finish of every season.
- The highest 22 gamers on every shard by the cutoff will earn a seat for the World Championship qualifiers.
- A participant’s rating is decided primarily based on their finest placement in 2 out of the 5 seasons main as much as the World Championship.
- Seasonal event finalists – 20 gamers
- The highest 4 gamers from every shard’s 5 Seasonal Tournaments might be assured a seat within the World Championship qualifiers.
- Any duplicates will move their seat to a qualifier primarily based on Seasonal Event Factors.
- Seasonal event factors – 22 gamers
- Factors are granted primarily based on efficiency in every Seasonal Event.
- One level might be awarded per recreation received in each the Open Rounds and Playoffs section of the Seasonal Event.
- Factors from all Seasonal Tournaments from Empires of the Ascended onward might be mixed right into a single complete.
Qualification for the finals might be decided as follows:
- 64 gamers from the Americas will compete for six seats within the finals
- 64 gamers from Europe will compete for 5 seats within the finals
- 64 gamers from Asia might be mixed with 64 gamers from SEA to compete for 5 seats within the finals
A complete of 16 finalists will transfer on to the World Championship finals. These gamers will then compete in a gaggle stage that includes four-player spherical robins. The highest two finishers from every group will then advance to the ultimate, single-elimination stage to crown LoR’s very first World Champion.
Extra data, together with particular dates of the tournaments, might be shared nearer to the occasion.
Esports Insider says: For the reason that launch of Hearthstone in 2014, collectable card video games have struggled to maintain the long-term consideration of esports followers. Magic: The Gathering Enviornment remains to be going sturdy inside its personal bubble of organisers and gamers. LoR has attracted modest streaming consideration since its announcement in 2019, however lured a mere 3,500 Twitch viewers in March, per Twitch Tracker. It will likely be attention-grabbing to see how Riot’s newest creation performs out, actually.